Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I won’t switch to an iPad Mini…




Don’t get me wrong.  I simply love and adore the iPad mini.  It’s size, overall dimensions and weight are great for any person.  It’s easy to carry, light to use and you can hold it for extended periods of time without getting tired.  For those of us who do late night reading, it won’t rudely hit you on the head or face when you fall asleep reading like it happens with a bigger iPad.  Gaming is more fun on the mini; your hands don’t get tired holding it up.  The camera is good, Siri is present, and the battery life doesn’t take a hit even despite its small size.

So why am I sticking to an iPad 2?  The screen, though not retina, is quite adequate for what I do and I can close windows and press buttons more easily than I can with the iPad mini.  Plus, I use the iPad for typing power points or short documents, and paired with the Sharkk aluminium keyboard, it makes a perfect laptop replacement for most of my work.

O.K., let me tell you about the Sharkk keyboard.  It’s almost like the Apple keyboard, with a strong aluminium body, and pretty good keys, and can be found for only $20 at Amazon.  I like this keyboard quite a lot and paired with the iPad, it makes a perfect portable solution.  I hate the tiny keyboards on most iPad keyboard cases, so this solution, though more bulky, is much better…I can almost type as fast as on a laptop or desktop…

I almost went with my urges and traded in my iPad for a mini.  But there are some things that the bigger iPad can do better, so I’ll stick to it for a while...